Cristiano Ronaldo has named a few stars that could be up for nomination in the future, once he and Lionel Messi have retired following his UEFA best player of the year award won on Thursday in Monaco.
The two greats have won most of the major individual awards over the past decade, so it was put to the Portuguese who he feels could be in-line for the top gongs.
Speaking in an interview as reported by Spanish Newspaper MARCA, Ronaldo said: “[Marco] Asensio, Neymar, [Kylian] Mbappe, [Ousmane] Dembele, [Eden] Hazard, [Marcos] Rashford, there are some very good names around.”
The form of Asensio has not gone unnoticed recently, having scored some impressive goals in big matches, on both the international stage and in LaLiga. Asensio who impressed during the Euro U21s championship has been given a national team call-up ahead of Spain’s World Cup qualifying fixtures next week.
Asensio and his Real Madrid team-mates will be without their prolific forward Ronaldo when they play host to Valencia on Sunday in a La Liga week two fixture. Ronaldo is serving a five match ban handed him by the Spanish football authorities for assaulting a match official.
- Xavi: Ronaldo trumped by ‘best player in history’ Messi – APROKOPIKIN
- BREAKING: Ronaldo Wins 2017 Ballon d’Or, Equals Messi’s Record
- Cristiano Ronaldo is inflexible and limited, don’t compare him to Lionel Messi – Barcelona legend, Xavi says
- The Real Madrid player who convinced Cristiano Ronaldo to mock Lionel Messi revealed
- Ronaldo – Don’t Compare Me With Messi He’s Not My Friend
- La Liga: Messi wins Pichichi award, overtakes Ronaldo – APROKOPIKIN