Last season, we witnessed one of the greatest comebacks in football history as Barcelona overcame a 4-0 first leg deficit to Paris Saint-Germain to progress to the next round of the Champions League.
The Catalan giants won 6-1 at the Nou Camp in the second leg and the legendary Lionel Messi celebrated by holding his shirt up to the crowd in what has become an iconic image.
On Sunday night, Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo recreated that image, at the Nou Camp, against Lionel Messi.
Barcelona and Real Madrid clashed in the Spanish Super Cup and the latter managed to come out on top thanks to goals from Marcos Asensio, Ronaldo and an own goal from Pique.
Messi had scored from the spot for Barcelona to make the scores 1-1 after Luis Suarez had been felled in the box, but Ronaldo came off the bench to fire back at his long-time rival just three minutes later.
Ronaldo would earn a yellow card for taking his shirt off to celebrate, but he would hold up his own shirt to the crowd in Messi-esque fashion before he was done.
Marcelo and Ronaldo are notoriously close at the Bernabeu – it comes as no surprise that he would be the one to remind the former Manchester United man to twist the knife.
Ronaldo has had a difficult summer with Madrid and looked set to leave the club following his treatment from the Spanish Authorities over alleged tax evasion to the tune of around €14 million.
However, the free-scoring 32-year-old would clear up his future in July by stating he wanted to win more trophies in the Spanish capital.
“Winning major trophies with my club last year was great, just like the individual trophies,” Ronaldo told Marca.
“‘Doing it again would be fine.
“You have to work hard, year after year, I will continue to do it. Football is my life, it is my passion.”
He made a good start to the season last night by putting Real in a commanding position with the second leg due to take place at the Bernabeu.
- Lionel Messi’s Goal Celebration vS Real Madrid Sparks Loads Of Awesome Memes Online… So Hilarious! But Not To Real Madrid Fans!
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo – APROKOPIKIN
- Cristiano Ronaldo is inflexible and limited, don’t compare him to Lionel Messi – Barcelona legend, Xavi says
- Lionel Messi goes full Cristiano Ronaldo with dressing room celebration of Argentina victory
- Real Madrid 2-1 Fiorentina: Cristiano Ronaldo put domestic ban behind him to score winner
- Unnamed Chinese Super League offer Real Madrid $298 million (£176million) for Cristiano Ronaldo